The Most Satisfying Cannoli Filling Recipe
Because everyone agrees that Italian dishes are amazing, I write this nice recipe. Cannoli are little tubes popular Italian pastries of the Sicily region. These cannoli are not only popular in its original country but also in Italian-American cuisine. Cannoli filling is referred to the fried pastry which is filled with freshest creamiest sheep’s milk ricotta along with sugar. It is served with dipper like chocolate and nuts. This opening paragraph is enough and here is the cannoli filling recipe.
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Sunflower oil (to deep-fry)
- Icing sugar (to dust)
For the Pastry:
- 160 g butter or lard (melted)
- 680 g plain flour
- 2 eggs plus 3–4 egg yolks
- 130 g (1 cup) icing sugar
- 250 ml marsala
For the Filling:
- 300 g fresh ricotta
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g mascarpone
- ½ cup glacé cherries
- ½ cup candied citrus peel
- 1 tablespoon orange essence
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark couverture chocolate
- Rub butter into flour and add eggs, yolks, sugar and marsala. Mix them in an electric mixer with a dough hook to form dough.
- For the filling, simply whisk ricotta and sugar in your electric mixer for about 2 minutes until smooth. Then, fold in mascarpone and the remaining filling ingredients. After that, chill.
- Then, roll the dough out by using a pasta machine until 1 mm thick. Cut into 10 cm-diameter circles and brush the edges with beaten egg. Wrap around a cannoli form.
- It is time to fry it. Deep-fry in clean oil for about 30 seconds or until the center is cooked.
- Do not forget to drain it on paper towel then remove the cannoli forms.
- Lastly, fill cannoli to order and dust with the icing sugar.