The Favorite Hush Puppy Recipe
Hush puppy becomes a favorite side for most people. Hush puppy is famous by its simple ingredients and way to serve it. Some people believe that there is no Southern fish fry is complete without this hush puppy. At the first time we hear the name of this side meal, the name sounds so interesting. It gets its name from the Southern fishermen and Civil War soldiers who first made the golden nuggets from scraps just to toss to barking dogs with a command “Hush, puppy”. So, are you curious of the hush puppy recipe? Here is the favorite hush puppy recipe.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour (all-purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- Oil (for deep-fat frying)
- Take your large bowl and combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg, milk and onion. Add them to dry ingredients just until combined.
- Heat your deep-fat fryer or electric skillet to 365o. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil carefully.
- Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown and well-cooked.
- Do not forget to drain them on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
This hush puppy recipe will lead you to serve 4-6 servings. This side meal is also usually consumed for long period in a big serving. So, if you want, you can make it in a huge portion and store it in the fridge to use within a month. Just for your note if you have problem in determining how much oil is suitable, you can place a clean ruler in the pot and make sure that the oil is 2 to 3 inch depth. Happy cooking!