Simple Boiled Peanuts Recipe
Peanuts are believed as one of the world’s healthiest foods. As a healthy food, it is definitely offer a variety of health benefits to us. One very interesting fact is that the peanuts are potentially reduced risk of stroke based on some studies. Peanuts are rich in the type of fat that is emphasized in the heart-healthy diet. Peanuts can be made into several kinds of dishes but the best way to cook it is by boiling it. Boiled peanuts are not common outside the South, so it is a great idea to make it at home. Here is the best boiled peanuts recipe for you.
- 2 pounds raw peanuts in the shell
- 1 ½ cups salt (divided)
- Firstly, dissolve ½ cup salt in 2 gallons water in a 3-gallon stockpot. Then add the 2 pounds peanuts into it. Soak them 8 hours or overnight. It will be better if you weigh down the peanuts with a large plate to ensure that they are fully submerged.
- After that, drain water and refill the pot with 2 gallons water along with remaining 1 cup salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low, simmer and covered for 5 to 8 hours. Remember to add water as needed in order to keep the peanuts covered. Stir it occasionally.
- Check the peanuts’ saltiness and texture after 3 hours and every hour after that. You can add more salt if you think that it is not salty enough.
- Then, cool them 1 hour.
- Drain the peanuts and eat immediately.
The soaking step is just an optional actually, but the tip will ease the cooking time. In addition, you can also use a pressure cooker. You may have to boil the peanuts for 60 minutes under high pressure. You can also use a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours in high.