Making Patti LaBelle Sweet Potato Pie at Home
Everyone knows Patti LaBelle, I bet. She is an American singer, author, actress and entrepreneur. She was selling Sweet Potato Pie via Walmart. This pie is as famous as her. So, we are going to show you how to make this famous potato pie in home. Here is Patty LaBelle sweet potato pie recipe.
1 Pie Dough
All-purpose flour (for dusting)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and divided)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (divided)
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup half-and-half
2 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Prepare the pie shell first by rolling out prepared dough into a 13” round on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough around rolling pin and unfurl into 9” deep dish pie plate, do it carefully and lightly press into plate. Remember to leave 1” dough hanging over edge and trimming any excess dough. After that, tuck dough under itself then crimp edge. Cover it with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F, uncover pie shell and brush bottom and sides with 1 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle ¼ cup brown sugar over bottom and bake around 15 minutes. Cool in pan on rack about 30 minutes in 250
- Meanwhile, let’s make the filling. Add sweet potatoes to large pot salted water over medium heat. Simmer for 35-40 minutes then drain, rinse under cold water and peel it.
- Transfer your sweet potatoes to food processor and mix it but return 2 ½ cups to food processor. Then, add granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 7 tbsp butter and ½ cup brown sugar. Mix until smooth and spread filling into your pie shell, smoothing the top.
- Bake until golden or about an hour. Cool it on a wire rack, cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.