Chili Relleno Recipe
Any dish in Mexican cuisine seems so interesting and become most people’s popular dish. One of them is chili relleno. This dish stuffed with melted cheese or diced pork and covered in an egg batter along with any kind of sauce. Are you interested to make it? Check this chili relleno recipe.
For the Chili Relleno:
- 4 pasilla chiles
- 1 pound queso fresco cheese
- 3 eggs (divide the yolks and whites)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oil
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 4 medium tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth powder
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves
- Heat your grill to medium heat. Grill and char the chiles on both sides.
- Once it gets black, put it in a plastic bag for 10 minutes in order to sweat out any moisture.
- Then, remove from the bag. Slit them down the middle and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the queso fresco. Use toothpicks to hold them.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl and beat it with an electric beater until the whites fluff up. Then, add the flour and egg yolks into it. Mix well until incorporated.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and dip stuffed peppers into the batter before frying until golden on both sides.
- Then, in a small pot over medium heat, add tomatoes. Simmer them until soft and stir in the garlic and chicken broth powder.
- Add ¼ cup of oil to a frying pan over low heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux mixture and cook the flour until browned. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the oregano.
- In your serving platter, pour the tomato sauce over the cooked chili relleno.