Best Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Soul Food
Soul food is a term that refers to the foods and techniques associated with the African American cuisine of the United States. Soul food originated in the home cooking of the rural South. It usually uses locally raised or gathered foods and other inexpensive ingredients. One of the popular soul foods recipes is the sweet potato pie. Without further ado, let’s get started on sweet potato pie recipe soul food.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 eggs (medium sized)
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cup flour (all purpose)
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup cold salted butter (diced or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter flavored shortening
- 1½ tablespoon ice water
- Take a large bowl and sprinkle your 1 ¼ all purpose flour into it.
- Add the cold butter, butter flavored shortening, salt, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix all the ingredients until if forms into dough.
- After that, wrap with plastic wrap and store the dough in your fridge.
- Take the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes and toss it into a medium sized pot. Pour in about 4 up to 6 cups of water. Boil it over high heat. Let it cool.
- Toss your cool potatoes into a mixing bowl and whisk until the potatoes are creamy.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and granulated sugar. Add eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and softened butter. Whisk together until airy.
- Remove the dough from your fridge and place it into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake it on 325 F in 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the pie shell and add the sweet potato pie filling into pie shell. Bake it for 45-50 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy.